Adopt a Book
Last Christmas posting dates: For guaranteed UK delivery of your book-jacket gift card or paper certificates by Christmas, please complete your adoption by 18 December. After this date, e-certificates can still be emailed immediately or on a date of your choice.
Adopt your favourite book and you help care for a million others
Conservation at the British Library is critical to preserve the collection for present and future generations. Every year our dedicated team of conservators treat over 1,500 items. Books, manuscripts, maps, photographs, stamps and works of art on paper all receive our care.
By adopting a book today, your donation directly supports the work of our conservators and helps us keep British Library books on the shelves.
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, 1925
This edition comes from 1925 and is illustrated by Henry Keen. There are twelve plates including a number of embellishments and decorations including the butterfly on the cover.
Adopt a Book at £25 and:
- Choose from a range of well-loved titles or our seasonal selection
- Receive a delightful book-jacket gift card or a certificate as a keepsake or to send to your giftee.
- Download a personalised Adopt a Book e-certificate and email it to your giftee.
How to Adopt a Book
Simply choose your book and complete the online form, including your donation of £25. You can also adopt a book when you visit the British Library Shop. Please note that our seasonal selection is only available online.
Make a lasting contribution to our conservation work with a bespoke adoption
Remember a loved one or celebrate a special occasion with a bespoke adoption. A bespoke adoption allows you to choose your preferred title from across the Library's collection - you are not limited to the titles in our booklist.
For donations of £150 to £1,000 we offer
- A choice of titles from across our collection
- A personalised certificate sent in the post
- An invitation to our ‘Meet the Conservators’ event.
For donations of £1,000 and above we offer the above benefits and
- A customised bookplate placed inside the conservation box which houses your item, for the lifetime of the box
- A special tour of our Conservation Centre
- A tour for two of the British Library
- Acknowledgment in our Annual Report and Adopt a Book Donors’ Board in the Conservation Centre.
To make a bespoke adoption contact the development team who can help with ideas at T +44 (0)20 7412 7205 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our collection is extensive and covers: Art and Architecture, Business, Finance and Law, Children's Books, Food and Drink, Gardening, Geography, History and Politics, Literature, Music and Dance, Natural History, Religion and Philosophy, Science and Medicine, Sports and Pastimes.
All funds raised are used to support the work of our conservators (at the discretion of the Library). Donations only support conservation of a particular item where this has been agreed.