Adopt a Book
Book of the month
Edith Nesbit's story of three children and their many adventures along the local railway line is still a much loved classic today. Adopt this book
Help conserve the world's knowledge by adopting a book today
As a working library, keeping our collections in a suitable condition for Readers is a top priority. Every year our dedicated team of conservators treat over 1,800 items. Books, manuscripts, maps, photographs, stamps, works of art on paper – all receive our care.
Adopt your favourite book and you care for a million others
- Your donation directly contributes to our conservation work.
- You help young conservators to learn intricate skills.
- You fund new technology to help us better conserve items.
- You keep British Library books on the shelves.
Adopt a Book at £25 and:
- Your donation of £25 supports our conservation work
- Choose from a range of 14 well-loved book titles
- Receive a delightful book-jacket gift card as a keepsake or to personalise and send to your giftee.
- Download a personalised Adopt a Book certificate and email it to your giftee.
How to Adopt a Book
Simply choose your book and complete the online form, including your donation of £25. You can also Adopt a Book when you visit the British Library shop.
Make a lasting contribution to our conservation work with a bespoke adoption from £150
Remember a loved one or celebrate a special occasion with a bespoke adoption. A bespoke adoption allows you to choose your preferred title from across the Library's collection - you are not limited to the titles in our booklist. Given the breadth of our collection, we can also help suggest suitable titles.
For donations of £150 to £1,000 we offer
- A choice of titles from across our collection
- A personalised Adopt a Book certificate sent in the post
- An invitation to our ‘Meet the Conservators’ event.
For donations of £1,000 and above we offer the above benefits and
- A customised bookplate placed inside the conservation box which houses your item, for the lifetime of the box
- A special tour of our Conservation Centre
- A tour for two of the British Library
- Acknowledgment in our Annual Report and Adopt a Book Donors’ Board in the Conservation Centre.
To make a bespoke adoption contact the development team who can help with ideas at email@example.com or telephone +44 (0)20 7412 7205.
Our collection is extensive and covers: Art and Architecture, Business, Finance and Law, Children's Books, Food and Drink, Gardening, Geography, History and Politics, Literature, Music and Dance, Natural History, Religion and Philosophy, Science and Medicine, Sports and Pastimes.
All funds raised are used to support the full range of our conservation activities (at the discretion of the Library). Donations only support conservation of a particular item where this has been agreed.