Adopt a Book
Care for the world's knowledge. By adopting a book, you directly support conservation work at the British Library. As the perfect gift for the book-lover in your life, or as a way to give back to the Library, your support will help to preserve our collection for years to come.
Adopt your favourite book and you help care for a million others
Conservation at the British Library is critical to preserve the collection for present and future generations. Every year our dedicated team of conservators treat over 1,500 items. Books, manuscripts, maps, photographs, stamps and works of art on paper all receive our care. By adopting a book today, your donation directly supports the work of our conservators and helps us keep British Library books on the shelves.
Adopt a Book at £25 and:
Choose from a range of well-loved titles
- Receive a delightful book-jacket gift card as a keepsake or to send to your giftee.
- Download a personalised Adopt a Book e-certificate and email it to your giftee.
How to Adopt a Book...
Simply choose your book and complete the online form, including your donation of £25. You can also adopt a book when you visit the British Library Shop.
Make a lasting contribution to our conservation work with a bespoke adoption of £1000...
Remember a loved one or celebrate a special occasion with a bespoke adoption of £1000 or more. A bespoke adoption allows you to choose your preferred title from across the Library's collection - you are not limited to the titles in our booklist. If you Adopt a Book at this level, you will receive:
- Adopt a Book from a choice of titles from across our collection
- A personalised certificate sent in the post
- A customised bookplate placed inside the conservation box which houses your item, for the lifetime of the box
- A special tour of our Conservation Centre
- A tour for two of the British Library
- Acknowledgment in our Annual Report and Adopt a Book Donors’ Board in the Conservation Centre.
To make a bespoke adoption contact the development team who can help with ideas at T +44 (0)20 7412 7176 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our collection is extensive and covers: Art and Architecture, Business, Finance and Law, Children's Books, Food and Drink, Gardening, Geography, History and Politics, Literature, Music and Dance, Natural History, Religion and Philosophy, Science and Medicine, Sports and Pastimes.
All funds raised are used to support the work of our conservators (at the discretion of the Library). Donations only support conservation of a particular item where this has been agreed.