Become a Friend
With over 3,000 members, the Friends of the British Library is a registered charity (no. 328095) made up of faithful supporters. Founded in 1989, 2014 brings us to our 25th Anniversary. Our Anniversary Booklet details some of the grants made over the years.
From their resources, the Friends make regular grants to the Library for acquisitions, exhibitions, new equipment and facilities, and activities. In return, Friends receive a host of benefits as described below.
Become a Friend from just £40 a year by filling out the membership form. It is an affordable way to support the Library!
Friends Membership can also be given as a gift and is popular for birthdays, Christmas, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and retirement. A small pack is sent out, including past copies of newsletters and a Friends of the British Library canvas tote bag. The recipient will be a full Friend and entitled to all benefits, including free exhibition entry. Just fill in the membership form or call the office on 020 7412 7734 to arrange.
Friends Benefits include:
- Private guided visits to libraries, museums and collections - see the current and past event lists.
- Free admission to Library exhibitions, when there is an entry charge*
- Quarterly Friends Newsletter and the British Library's Exhibitions and Events brochure
- Access to a comfortable Members' Room with newspapers and magazines
- 10% discount in the Library Shop*
- Discount on lectures in the Library*
- Discounts on outside cultural events
* Discounts are at the discretion of the British Library
- Standard membership £50
- Joint membership £65
- Concessions† £40
- Joint concessions† £50
- Companies £550
- Life Membership (single) £750
- Life Membership (joint) £975
† Students, unwaged, under 25, 60 or over, British Library staff
Ways to join:
Call us on 020 7412 7734.
Complete a membership form and post it to us at:
Friends of the British Library
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB
Please do not send credit card numbers by email.
The Friends of the British Library is registered charity no. 328095